A note burning service was.....
held on June 23, 1948, as St. John’s was able to liquidate its debt. Also in 1948, the first Boy Scout to receive the Pro Deo Et Patria Award was Douglas Y Boden. Later on June 25, 1961 celebration was given with the ordination of Rev. Douglas Y Boden.
A new pipe organ was dedicated on February 1, 1959 following extensive renovations and remodeling of the area in an around the alter. The parsonage also saw renovations.
The period of 1961 to 1966 found St. John’s adopting a new constitution and the organization of Lutheran Church Women.
Continued improvement to the church facility could be seen through a new roof in 1967,and the painting of the sanctuary. Four new church signs were placed at the entrances to the community in 1969.
St. John’s members opened their hearts and homes to victims of the Agnes Hurricane disaster of June 1972, providing food and shelter to many. Members and the church Boy Scouts donated time and energy to clean up homes on Island Park.
Handbells were purchased in 1973 and became the property of the music department. In September 1976 the first Handbell Choir was organized. The Handbell Choir provides delightful music to listen to.
First plans made for a Christian nursery school for tots ages 4 and 5 to meet three mornings a week were launched in 1975. The school opened in February and later expanded for 3 year olds in September. Mrs. Gretchen Brosius was the first administrator. The goals of the school are to provide a succession of experiences whereby each child may have the opportunity to develop at his own rate in several areas: physical skills, personal value skills; academic learning, group values and relationships, self expressions, home, church, and school relationships and as a child of God and how to grow in His love.
Due to an energy crisis at the school, in January 1977, the church rented Sunday School rooms temporarily to the Shikellamy School District for Priestley School classes. A new cross in the church tower was replaced after its destruction in May in a wind storm was replaced in July 1977.
Again, during the 1980’s St. John’s saw continued improvement and growth. The former parsonage was razed and the area developed into an enlarged parking lot, the sanctuary was refurbished that included paint and decorating, new carpet and refurbished pews. The floor in Fellowship Hall was replaced after damages from a leaking roof and wall water seepage. In June 1986 work began on the Martin Luther Memorial Library and was renovated and redecorated. Dedication of the new library was held on October 5, 1986.
The Council approved the church participation in the program “Adopt A Highway” in May 1990, and the youth, with adult supervision began the project in September. The area is for two miles along Route 11 east of the American Legion Post 44. The program continues at this time with church volunteers. In July of 1990, the Council began planning a project to restore the stained glass windows in the Adult Sunday School area. The project began in January 1991 and was completed the following month.